Sunday, December 16, 2012

.....first semester done.....

.....and wondering where all the time went????  So much has happened in such a short span of time.  I am loving every minute of this experience.  My first few rehearsals are done - biggest fear - will I remember all of my lines when I need to?  I am hoping to record and play back my lines as many times as possibly so that I can in fact do a great job.  It is an exciting time for me to explore and feel free to experiment with all of these opportunities...ones I would not necessarily have taken advantage of when I was a high school student.  There is a lot to be said about being an older student!!

Last Wednesday night, after 8 hours straight of classes, we had a study-a-thon for our Social Foundations class.  There were a number of classrooms set up with various sections to study, quiz or test in preparation for the final exam in the semester.  I won a coffee card for answering a question in the professor run part of the evening.  It is a sad moment when you see a professor retire who you know has such passion for this vocation.  I shook Alliston's hand at the end and once again thanked him for a great lecture experience.

My husband Max had surgery on Thursday and gratefully, his Mom and Dad were able to take him to Strathroy hospital for the procedure.  It was my last day of classes and I felt horribly guilty that I was unable to be there for him.  As it was, the surgery went later than expected and I ended up running around to get his meds after 7 pm.  With little time left to study, I read through my notes and went to bed for some much needed sleep....which never came.

Friday morning - day of the final Social Foundations test and I popped into the cafeteria for a coffee and to check in with my classmates.  I had a bag of gifts to hand out to the group I normally hang out with and a box of chocolates for the janitor and a box for the cafeteria ladies.  Vladka was so excited and surprised when I gave her a box of After Eights....she never expected it from anyone.  So sad considering she has been so sweet and warm to me since I started in September.  Her bear hugs and smiles just made my day!!!  She is not just a janitor, she is a Mom, a wife, someone's daughter and a heck of a nice lady!!!

It was indeed a spectacular day!!  The sun was shining in a bright blue sky with temperatures at 9 degrees.  I had Veronica take in some deep breaths outside Elborn College, to clear her mind and to dry up her nervous tears.  The sun felt good on my face and I was ready to face the exam.  It would be fine and it would work out - faith that I had attended lectures and tutorials and understood the purpose of the course.  Multiple choice are not exactly my top pick, but needless to say, the exam was fair.  Once finished, it was time to head out to Buffalo Wings to meet up with my colleagues for a beer and wings before heading into the Christmas holidays.  While I adore the majority of my colleagues, those that I might not fully appreciate, I always try to find a great personal quality and focus on that.  Speaking well of others, despite what you may feel/think is always the best policy, no matter what.  Lots of hugs later, it was time to head out.... Merry Christmas Everyone!!!! xoxo

Friday was also a day of deep sadness as we sat and watched the unfolding news coverage of an elementary school in Conneticut, whose younger members were gunned down by a mentally disturbed 20 year old man.  My heart broke to hear the stories of children whose lives were cut down and of Robbie Parker, father of Emilie Parker, address the world about the loss of his own precious daughter.  When will these school shootings end?

I have done a lot of reflecting over the past four months and some days I feel really emotional about this   journey.  I know I am on the right path and that this has always been my calling.  I just belong, simply and without question....belong.  We spend our lives looking for that place we know where we just fit in and can be ourselves without having to justify why.  Teaching has always been that place for me.    While my careers were satisfying, none has been moreso than my experience as a teacher.

I have committed myself to living each moment with enthusiasm and joy.  There are a number of additional courses I will be taking on as the year begins in January.  They are opportunities to expand my knowledge and gain insight into the latest teaching principles for engaging and teaching our youth.  This experience has opened so many more doors for me and I look forward to a future filled with more adventures.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!!! xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment