...... at the end of another chapter in my journey and the beginning of a new one in the weeks and months ahead. I have had an incredible experience with my students at my second placement. The power to manifest a vision and to believe in my students in a positive pro-active way has truly cemented my firm belief that I am a teacher. When you are pursuing your calling, making a difference and wanting more, despite the challenges, you are truly doing what your soul has been designed to do.
Reflection is a powerful tool used to review your past while in the present in order to improve for the future.....what I learned in looking back is that I clearly knew so long ago that this is what my destiny was supposed to be. I needed all that crazy stuff in between in order to be that caring, interested and engaging teacher.
Yesterday, my life experiences as a mother were key in dealing with an angry and upset mother. Her son convinced her that it was me who was at fault for why her son was not achieving his school goals. I stood my ground and was prepared the night before with all the documentation required to show that her son was argumentative and felt entitled to obtaining a mark he clearly did not earn. He had lied to her and had been deceitful with how he had been conducting himself in class. His father, it seems, feels that marks are everything and often compare this younger son with the over-achieving older one. I showed the mother her son's work and the look of disappointment was all too clear as she looked from myself, to the VP and then to her son. His submissions were in keeping with grade school despite the fact that her son was in grade 11. This student had gone as far as to solicit help from a guidance councillor who wrote a note indicating her concern about his grade not reflecting those of his other marks. He clearly did not earn and according to him, had councilled him to lie about visiting her when he had asked to go to the washroom. As the ugly truth began to reveal itself, the mother began to realize the position her son had put her in and I wondered, as we wrapped up the discussion as to wether this son of hers would ever see daylight again. When the meeting ended, I had an opportunity to tour his mother around the classroom and offered to walk her to the front door. She let me know that she really thought I was this really bad teacher who didn't care about her son. As I walked away, I felt deeply for this woman who likely had been trying to protect her son from an overbearing father.
A few minutes later, after returning to the classroom, her son dropped in to ask me what he needed to do. I wrote it out for him including explanations and once again he approached me and began to argue with me. I told him that he could hand it in within the next two weeks to my associate teacher who would have to adjust his mark if he did not. He continued to mope and then complain to anyone who would listen to him. Sad that his life lesson, when it comes, will be extremely difficult. Glad that the faculty and mother now know that there is a good chance he might not be the A student they thought he was....She called the school back later and thanked the VP for having a wonderful teacher like me on staff.
The last day at this amazing high school was so emotional. Like a parent who loves and cares deeply for their children, you always worry about them. My husband says that I have changed their lives and yes, while I may agree with that....we need to remember that they too have changed mine. I will miss these young minds, with all their issues, quirkiness and sense of humour. The huge card, their smiles and hugs will stay with me always.
To those who think teachers have a sweet deal and get too much pay for their summers off need to understand that we are on the clock 24 hours a day worrying about not just our own children but 60+ others. A teacher has to know each and every student and be able to cater to each individual needs while maintaining discipline, and a healthy and safe environment for all. Maintain a healthy relationship with your children's teacher, do not expect more than what they or your child are capable of accomplishing. We have flaws just like all good parents do. There are always two sides to every story.We work with your child every day and try to create exciting and new projects for them to do while also teaching them the 'soft' skills that help them learn how to be in the world. It truly is the greatest vocation in the world!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment